Temporary Protected Status

Immigrants from certain specific countries may be eligible for “Temporary Protected Status.” If you’re in the Idaho Falls area, you’ll want to speak with an Idaho Falls immigration attorney to see if you might be eligible, especially if you’re from one of the following countries:

El Salvador; Honduras; Nicaragua; Haiti; Guinea; Liberia; Sierra Leone; Somalia; Sudan; South Sudan; and Syria.

The U.S. government believes that the current situation in the above countries is unsafe, and has provided for Temporary Protected Status to help keep immigrants from those countries safe within the United States, at least temporarily.

As of early 2015, only individuals from the above countries are eligible for temporary protected status. Immigrants from those countries must also pass a background check, have lived in the United States since a specific date, and file for Temporary Protected Status at the correct time. A criminal background might make you ineligible–you should talk to an immigration attorney to find out if you are eligible or not. You can find more information at the USCIS website.  The USCIS website should also have up-to-date information on what countries are eligible.

When you apply for Temporary Protected Status, you can also apply for permission to work in the United States.

Temporary Protected Status is just that–it is temporary. It is not Permanent Residency. If you are granted the right to work, you can work, but you will not have a Green Card. You will need to renew your status every few years; if you fail to renew your status in a timely manner, you will no longer be protected from removal or deportation.

An immigration attorney can assist you with the paperwork and help ensure that you’re successful in your initial application and any renewals.