Visas for Business Owners

Wealthy investors may be eligible for a green card if they have at least $500,000 to spend and can meet the other requirements of an investment green card.

But what about business owners who don’t have that kind of money? The E-2 Visa is your way in. If you will be starting a new business in the U.S., or purchasing an existing business, you may be eligible.

You will need a business plan. An immigration attorney in Idaho could perhaps help you create one. You will also need to investment money into the business prior to applying for the visa. You need to show USCIS that you are committed to the business. You will need to be able to prove that you earned or otherwise received your investment money in a lawful manner. You need to show that you have the kind of background required to run the business. You must manage or own the business once you are in the U.S.

Additionally, you have to be from a “treaty” country. Make sure to check this list before you put time in considering this option. Mexico’s a treaty country. Brazil is not.

Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years can also accompany you. Your spouse can work as long as he or she successfully applies for employment authorization.

The visa must typically ┬ábe renewed every two years. It will not, by itself, lead to a green card or citizenship, at least under current laws. But, as long as you are running the business, you can remain in the U.S. And it’s very possible that laws will change, or that your children will eventually become U.S. citizens (either through birth or marriage) and that they may be able to sponsor you so that you can become a permanent resident and then a citizen.Again, though, as long as you continue to run your business and renew your visa, you’ll be able to remain in the U.S.

Applying for an E-2 Visa is not a simple matter. It’s extremely complex, and it should not be attempted without an immigration attorney.