Spouse Immigration

Many people immigrate to the United States because their husband or wife is a citizen or legal immigrant in the U.S., and the married couple wants to live here.

Unfortunately, even if one of you is a citizen of the United States, you can still run into trouble with immigration.  Many couples are placed into difficult situations because they didn’t go through the proper immigration process.  Often one of them is forced to leave the United States.

The U.S. takes immigration fraud seriously.  Timothy Jones, attorney at Idaho Immigration Law, externed with a federal judge while in law school, and had the opportunity to observe a court case involving marriage fraud.  People from Eastern Europe had married people in the U.S. in order to obtain permanent residency in the U.S.  These marriages, however, were not real marriages–they were legal on paper, but they were only entered into for immigration purposes.  The married couples never lived together and never acted like husband and wife.

The individuals involved–the U.S. citizens and immigrants–were punished, and the immigrants were sent back to Eastern Europe.

In order to obtain permanent residency in the United States based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant, you need to show U.S. Immigration that your marriage is real.  You need to prove that all previous divorces (if any) are finalized, that you have a valid marriage certificate, and that you live together as husband or wife.  Couples with children together, and couples who have been married for more than a couple of years, will have an easier time proving this.

You also need to show that you won’t be a financial burden to the government.  Generally speaking, the spouse who is already legally living in the U.S. needs to show that he or she is financially able to support the other spouse.

The immigrating spouse will also need to undergo a medical exam and fingerprinting, and the couple will be interviewed.

Don’t risk deportation.  Contact Idaho Immigration Law for assistance in obtaining permanent residency for yourself or your spouse.