Family-Based Immigration

At Idaho Immigration Law, we do more family-based immigration than anything else. This includes:

  1. Green Cards for spouses of U.S. citizens. Permanent Residency allows the immigrant to work, stay in the U.S. legally, and eventually obtain U.S. citizenship. We process a lot of these for college students at BYU-Idaho in Rexburg and Idaho State University students in Pocatello, as well as for many other couples.
  2. Green Cards for parents of U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens who are 21 years or older can sponsor their parents for citizenship.
  3. Green Cards for other relatives, including children, siblings, and step-relatives.
  4. Fiance Visas, also known as K-1 Visas. If you are planning on getting married, and one of you is not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, it’s essential that you know the rules regarding fiance visas. A lot of people make the huge mistake of entering the U.S. for the purpose of getting married without going through the K-1 Visa process. This is illegal and the fallout often causes a huge amount of heartache. Make sure, before you get married, that you take the right steps.
  5. International Adoption process. Make sure your child is protected. We’ve dealt with several cases where children were adopted by U.S. citizens and their parents failed to obtain citizenship for their children. This can lead to devastating problems when the child becomes an adult. Parents who adopt a child who was born outside of the U.S. absolutely need to meet with an immigration attorney to make sure their child obtains U.S. citizenship. Don’t make assumptions here.
  6. Green Card Waivers for spouses of U.S. citizens. When an immigrant enters the U.S. illegally, and later marries a U.S. citizen, an extreme hardship waiver is typically required in order for the immigrant to obtain a Green Card. These waivers, if done right, are complex and detailed. They’re not the sort of thing you should do yourself or leave to a non-attorney.
  7. Green Cards for abandoned children (Special Immigrant Juvenile Petition). Relatives who are caring for a grandchild, niece, nephew, or other relative who is an orphan or who has been abandoned or abused by their parents can obtain a guardianship and then a green card for the child. We do both guardianships and immigration law, and so we can help you with this entire process.
  8. Green Cards for abused spouses. If you are or were married to an abusive U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, or if you had children with an abusive U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident who was abusive to either you or the children, or if you are the child of an abusive U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, you may be eligible for a Green Card.
  9. Remove the Conditions from a Conditional Green Card. If you have a 2-year Conditional Green Card, we can assist you with obtaining a standard 10-year Green Card.
  10. Self-Petitions. If you have a Conditional Green Card through your spouse and you are going through a divorce or separation, it is still possible to upgrade to a normal Green Card. However, the process is more difficult. An immigration attorney can help ensure that you are successful.
  11. Green Cards for Widows or Widowers of U.S. citizens. If your spouse was a U.S. citizen, we can help you get a Green Card.
  12. 3-year Naturalization. Green Card holders who have been married to U.S. citizens for three years are eligible for citizenship. You will need to provide adequate proof that the marriage relationship still exists.

We assist with all of the above cases out of our offices in Idaho Falls and Pocatello. Call us for a quote and to schedule a consultation.