Business Immigration

Idaho Immigration Law does almost all kinds of business immigration. While we represent both employers and employees, the employers typically pay for the legal work, and when possible we request that the employer reach out to us to begin the process. Potential employees are welcome to give our contact information to employers.

Most local immigration attorneys don’t handle much, if any, business immigration. We do. The rules of business immigration are constantly changing. We invest the time and money necessary to stay current on business immigration so that we can best meet your needs.

Keep in mind that many of these processes can take a great deal of time and are time-sensitive. They are also extremely complex.

Business immigration includes:

  1. H-2B Visas. These are for seasonal and temporary workers with job offers. We currently do more of these than any other kind of business visa. Employers in places like West Yellowstone and Jackson, Wyoming often need seasonal help. Landscapers, roofers, and other employers in Idaho Falls, Pocatello, and surrounding areas also find these useful. Almost any non-agricultural need for seasonal workers can be fulfilled with H-2B Visas. For summer workers, employers should contact us in September or October at the latest. An employer does not have to have workers already lined up in order to begin the process.
  2. H-2A Visas. These are a bit like H-2B Visas in that they’re seasonal, but these are used for agricultural workers.
  3. Employment-Based Green Cards. Employers can sponsor certain educated workers on green cards as long as the employer can prove difficulty finding workers already in the U.S. Nurses and Physical Therapists with the appropriate education and training qualify for employment-based green cards without the employer having to prove difficulty finding U.S. workers. Hospitals and other healthcare facilities often obtain qualified workers through this route.
  4. H-1B Visas. These are for temporary workers with a job offer. The visas last 3 years and can be renewed. Employees typically have a college degree and the work they do must be specific to their degree. Right now, only about 25% of valid H-1B Visa applications are accepted, and so this has become a lottery. Universities, non-profits closely associated with universities, non-profit research organizations, and some others do not need to go through the lottery process, so this is a great business visa for organizations like BYU-Idaho, College of Eastern Idaho, and Idaho State University.
  5. TN Visas. These are mostly for educated workers from Mexico and Canada. Only certain professions are eligible.
  6. Other Visas. There are many other kinds of work visas, including visas for managers, investors, athletes, performers, trainees, and many more.